Social Media Basics: Increasing Engagement
7 Tips to Help Grow Your Platforms

Looking to grow your social media audiences? Check out these seven ideas to increase engagement across your platforms.

Post quality content. 

People naturally engage with quality content, meaning high-quality pictures and videos, posts they relate to or content they’re getting value from. Value could be in the form of education, inspiration, good feelings or a laugh. 

What people don’t want is to feel like they’re constantly being sold something or to see the same content over and over. In your posts, be fun, be real, mix it up, show the behind-the-scenes stuff, etc. A general guideline is that no more than 20% of your posts should be trying to sell something. The other 80% should be fun or informative content. 

Respond to comments. 

Did you know that simply “liking” comments does NOTHING to increase your engagement? The algorithm rewards comments (not likes) by showing your content to more people. To increase your comments count, respond to the ones you get by asking your commenter a question that will prompt them to answer. 

Encourage people to comment by asking a question.

You might be thinking, how do I respond to comments if I’m not getting any? Easy! Encourage people to comment by asking them a question in your video or caption. First, make sure the question relates to the post. Second, don’t overthink this, keep it fun and make it an easy question to answer. 

For example, let’s say you’re posting a picture of you taking your dog for a walk. Your caption could be something like: “Taking a break from being a girl boss by bringing Tootsie out for a walk. How do you like to decompress?” or “Tootsie is my favorite business partner. What kind of pets do you have? What are their names?”

Post during high-engagement times. 

Each platform (on business accounts) will show you when your followers are most active. Simply take a peek at your insights and post during those peak times. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb to follow is between 7-8 a.m., 11 a.m. to noon and 6-7 p.m.

Be a copycat. 

By this, I don’t mean to copy exactly what other people in your industry are doing word for word, photo for photo. That’s actually a huge no-no. What this means is to look around and take notes on what other people in your field are doing on their pages that get the most engagement. Take those ideas and make them your own! 

Optimize your posts. 

Learn more here.

Use hashtags.

Learn more here.

About Author

Avatar photo

Melissa is the Outreach, Events and Digital Director for RWM. She is also a writer, wife and dog mom. Her mission is to cultivate fun energy everywhere she goes.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events, receive fun announcements and get the latest articles delivered straight to your inbox! 📧

Get RWM in your mailbox!